The authors wish to thank Domenico Ferrari, Bruce Mah, Dave Patterson, Srini Seshan and Ron Widyono for their help during the development of these ideas. Kimberly Keeton was supported by AT&T Bell Laboratories Doctoral Fellowship, and by Department of Energy grant DE-FG03-92ER25135.
1. ?The Almagest,? Manual for Ptolemy, Version 0.4. University of California at Berkeley, 1992.
2. E. Chang and A. Zakhor. ?Scalable Video Coding Using 3-D Subband Velocity Coding and Multirate Quantization,?
Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, April
1993, pp. V:574 - 577.
3. P. Chen and D. Patterson. ?Maximizing Performance in a Striped Disk Array,? Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on Computer Architecture, May 1990.
4. P. Chen, et al. ?Performance and Design Evaluation of the Raid-II Storage Server,? International Parallel Processing Symposium Workshop on I/O in Parallel Computer Systems, April 1993. Invited for submission to the Journal of Distributed and Parallel Databases.
5. T. Chiueh and R. Katz. ?Multi-Resolution Video Representation for Parallel Disk Arrays,? Proceedings of ACM Multimedia ?93, June 1993, pp. 401 - 409.
6. E. Lee, et al. ?RAID-II: A Scalable Storage Architecture for High-Bandwidth Network File Service,? Technical Report UCB/CSD 92/672, University of California at Berkeley, 1992.
7. P. Lougher and D. Shepherd. ?The Design of a Storage Server for Continuous Media,? The Computer Journal, Vol. 36, No. 1, 1993, pp. 32 - 42.
8. M. McKusick, W. Joy, S. Leffler, and R. Fabry. ?A Fast File System for UNIX,? ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, 2:3, August 1984, pp. 18 1- 197.
9. P. V. Rangan and H. Vin. ?Designing File Systems for Digital Video and Audio,? Proceedings of the 13th Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, Operating Systems Review, October 1991, pp. 81 - 94. 10. M. Rosenblum and J. Ousterhout. ?The Design and Implementation of a Log-Structured File System,? Proceedings of the 13th Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 1991, pp. 1 - 15.
11. J. Woods. Subband Image Coding, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991.