|Basic Science and Health Education for Primary Schools Uganda (UNICEF, 1992, 162 p.)|
UNIT 16 FAMILY HEALTH AND SOCIAL PROBLEMS
P2 Term 1
By the end of this topic pupils should be able to:
1. Mention some factors that promote good relationship among
Pupils should be able to:
· Respect and obey parents, school authority and members of the community.
· Become responsible to care for sisters, brothers, and other children in the family and society.
· Demonstrate love among their family members and school society.
a) How to promote good relationship among family members.
b) How to demonstrate love among family members and school society
c) Things we do in order to keep healthy.
· Every member of the family should behave well to keep family and society happy. Children should be kind, helpful and obedient.
· Parents must show love, guidance and direction to their children and should also provide security for them.
· It is very important for children to have sufficient food, play and sleep for good growth.
Notes for the Teacher
In order for the family to be happy it must follow certain acceptable practices of the family and the society. The acceptable practices may be in regard to the feeding habits, helping others the way we speak and sharing responsibility. In a family it is important that members show love to each other in order for the whole family to be happy. Members of the family need to tolerate each other and show patience with special groups, children, aged and handicapped.
Parents show love to their children by providing to them security, shelter, playing facilities and protection.
Children should play in order to grow well. They need to play at the right time and in safe places. They need one hour of rest during day time and 10 hours at night. They should rest between activities.
Rest helps us regain energy to do more work and good food is essential for better health.
All members of the family should share work at home. Work helps us develop our body, mind and think properly.
Prayers help us communicate with God and ask for what we want, pardon for what we have done wrong and pray for others. Thank God for what we have had.
SOME ACTIVITIES FOR PUPILS:
· Demonstrate the correct method of sleeping, resting, eating, working, playing and praying.
· Demonstrate: How to respect, care, love, protect themselves and others, by using songs, drama, games and stones.
· Pupils can role play the role of family members in provision of love, security and others family's activities and responsibilities.
SKILLS TO DEVELOP:
1. Listen and obey.
2. Care for sisters and brothers e.g. bathing, feeding, protecting and keeping them safe from dangers.
3. Make some playing materials, dolls etc.
4. Say some prayers.
· Prayer books
· Materials for role play (dresses).
1. Question and answers.
2. Observation over pupils behaviours:
- towards one another during prayers.
- playing and leisure time.
- following instructions.
· Care for brothers and sisters at home.
· Help parents at home.
· Group work in cleaning and sweeping classroom and compound.
· Lead some prayers at school and at home.
(What have you learnt from this chapter?)
1. How can good relationship among family members be promoted?
2. Mention what pupils can do to demonstrate love for family members and society.
3. What is the importance of